Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tosca Lee

Dear Readers,
I have loved Tosca Lee’s writing since reading Demon a few years ago.  She writes books that make me think about her characters. She encourages questions and she challenges you to think beyond what is the normal thinking of her characters.  I never thought I would feel sorry for a demon, but Tosca requires that of her readers; don’t stay where it is comfortable.
Iscariot: A Novel of JudasJudas Iscariot is one of the most hated men in Christendom.  He betrayed Jesus to the Jewish leaders which lead to his crucifixion.  What is his story?  Who is he really and what did he expect from Jesus?  In Iscariot Tosca Lee asks and sometimes answers these questions.  Using what we know about Israeli history, she writes an interesting fiction story of Judas.
Judas was born during a turbulent time in Jewish history.  They are waiting for a Messiah to appear and throw off the oppression of Roman rule.  Judas loses his father and beloved older brother to a rebellion that goes wrong.   He vows to never look for another savior and to live out his life taking care of his family.  That is until he meets Jesus.
Is this the man they have been waiting for?  With all the signs and wonders that Judas witnesses he is sure he has found the one. Giving up family and reputation, Judas becomes a follower, believing that soon Jesus will organize an army and kick the hated Romans out. 
One thing I did take away from this book is that Judas was human, just like you and me.  He was loved by his teacher, Jesus and yet chose to betray him to the authorities.  Why?   I think the one thing that the Judas story tells me is that I also try to make God who I want him to be instead of who he is.  I want a Savior who plays by my rules not the great plan that he has for mankind.
Happy Reading

No comments: