Thursday, June 28, 2012

Charles Martin

Dear Readers,
Most of you know what I think of Charles Martin's books.  I just love reading them; they make me want to be a better person.  Thunder and Rain, Charles' latest, is no different.  It is a story of two very hurt people finding each other and being able to heal with each other’s help.
I will admit that I have put off reading this book so I would have the time to enjoy and savor the story.  I don’t want to read it too fast or I may miss something.   It only took me a couple of days to read it, but that was a couple of very enjoyable days.
Book ImageTyler is a retired Texas Ranger, but as the saying goes, "once a ranger always a Ranger."  His father was a Ranger before him and his grandfather before that.  It is in his blood and it defines who he is.  He is that guy that John Wayne was trying to play in the movies he acted in.  Tyler's nick name fits him to a "t” - Cowboy. 
Sam is on the run.  She caught her newest love interest in bed with her 10 year old daughter.  When they take off,  they take evidence with them and he wants it back before they use it against him.  She has not been able to get on her feet and is just trying to survive as her faith in men has dwindled down to nothing.
This is not a "good" Christian book in that there is some swearing, and even some sexual content, but it does have really good morals in it.  Cowboy has them and sticks with them even when it is not easy.  I would say, be careful about putting this in a church library, but read the book as it very well written and every little girl should grow up and marry a man like Cowboy. 
One other note about this book, Charles does not use conclusions to stories that you think he should or would use.  I can’t say there are huge storyline twists, but they don’t follow the clichés that other authors and stories can fall victim to.  I really do like that in a book.  I don’t want to know the ending before I get there, and I really like being surprised by that ending. 
Happy Reading

No comments: