Friday, December 16, 2011

Beth Webb Hart

Dear Readers,
Sometimes I wonder if I like Beth Webb Hart's book only because they are all set in South Carolina.  Of course I start reading them and remember that I like them because they are good.   
Sunrise on the Battery is once again set in Beth's beloved Charleston.  I have never heard her actually say that, but the way she writes about the city you can tell it is her favorite city in the world.  I can't disagree with her as I love Charleston and never get to spend enough time there whSunrise on the Battery, , n9781595542007en we do visit.  
On Christmas Eve Mary Lynn prays that her husband will find faith.  Little does she know how that will change her life forever.  Jackson and her are considered "come-yas" in Charleston,  which means they are not old money, but someone who has made their money recently.   
Things are looking up for them, they are getting asked to the right parties and to join the right country club.  Life is good.  Their daughters are doing well in school, they are excelling in many different fields and it looks like they will get into the right college.  So why does Mary Lynn think Jackson needs to know Jesus?  That is the question Mary Lynn asks herself when things start getting a bit crazy around her house.
I don't often find myself jealous of people in a book, but this book opens with the family celebrating Christmas in Charleston and it is a lovely warm day.  Mary Lynn goes out on a run and it is considered chilly because it is in the 50's.  Of course here in Michigan it is hanging around freezing and it is cold, windy and rainy/sleeting.  Then the day after Christmas they leave on a vacation to England.  Sigh.  
Oh well as I read more of the book I got less jealous as I read about all the hoops they are jumping through to be one of the crowd.  That I didn't and don't envy at all.  In fact as I read about it, I came to the conclusion that I would never fit in because I found most of the stuff they were talking about a waste of time.  So I guess I will never be one of them. 
I guess I will just have to stick to reading good books about it and then I can remember to thank God that he has me just where I should be.
 Happy Reading

No comments: