Thursday, April 14, 2011

Beth Pattillo

Dear Readers,
Once I get to book #3 in a series it sometimes gets hard to write something new.  The Dashwood Sisters Tell All is number 3 in Beth Pattillo's series titled A Modern Day Novel of Jane Austen.  Jane Austen Ruined My Life and Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart are the other two.  Each highlights a different Jane Austen book and are a complete joy to read.
The Dashwood Sisters Tell All, , n9780824948740 
The Dashwood sisters are the main characters in the book Sense and Sensibility.  Many historians that study Jane and her books believe that the two sisters in the book are based on Jane's relationship with her sister Cassandra.  In fact that belief is what most of the book is based on.
Ellen and Mimi were sent to England by their mother's dying wish.  Which is that they both take a walking tour of Hampshire England. Hampshire is home to mom's beloved Jane Austen.  Neither sister wishes to go, but to honor mom and to get their inheritance released, they go. 
Their relationship is strained, to say the least.  Their personalities clash and they each have their own baggage to carry.  They are both sure that mom sent them on this trip only to help repair that relationship and neither one is all that interested in doing that.  That thinking changes when they open a mysterious package from mom and discover what is inside. 
Besides this being such an enjoyable read, it made me want to go to England sooner rather than later.  It made me want to go with my sister who thankfully I have a great relationship with.  We enjoy the same sense of humor which makes it very difficult for our husbands to understand us, but I believe they have come to terms with it now.  Or at least they love us enough to let us just be that silly together. :-)
I really have enjoyed all of Beth's books that I have read.  She has a way of writing characters I want to meet and settings that make me want to visit.  So England is on my bucket list and I may have to take a walking tour of Hampshire to meet this Jane Austen so many are in love with.
Happy Reading

No comments: