Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Randy Alcorn

Dear Readers,
Ok so this is the second time I started this review.  It has nothing to do with the book and everything to do with me being unable to put down something that makes sense about this book. 
The Chasm by Randy Alcorn is an allegory, which does make it harder to write a review for.  I myself am not a huge fan of allegories.  They must be well written and capture my attention almost from the beginning. Otherwise I lose interest and then I lose track of what the author is trying to do and it stops making sense and so I stop reading.
I actually had the nerve to think I wouldn't like this book.  I have read all of Randy's fiction books and have yet to find one I didn't like, but I just wasn't sure about another allegory. 
The main character here is also the main character in Edge of Eternity.  It actually doesn't matter which you read first this one or Edge, they makes sense no matter which order you read them in.  In fact the ending (don't worry I am not giving anything away) says, "Nick Seagrove's full story  - all that happened before and after he came to the Chasm - is told in the novel Edge of Eternity." 
Nick is on a strange and wonderful journey that has/had taken him through a strange land.  It is full of characters that are hard to tell the good from the bad and yet it is never the one you think of that will lead you astray. 
That is all I am really going to say about this book.  I enjoyed it, but know it is not written for you to keep on your shelf, I believe it is written to be shared with all that are around you.  To understand you will have to enter the strange land of Nick Seagrove.
Happy Reading

No comments: