Thursday, December 20, 2012

Randy Alcorn

Dear Readers,
I have long “blamed” Randy Alcorn’s book Dominion for me having my job here at Baker.  I read it 15 years ago and it sold me on how good Christian fiction can be.  I started shopping for fiction books at Baker and because at the time I didn’t have a blog, this is one that I have never reviewed any of this series on my blog.  So when Waterbrook offered me a chance for a free copy of Deadline for a review I took it.
Deadline, Dominion and Deception as a very interesting series that Randy wrote over several years.   I read them out of order by reading Dominion first, but that really didn’t make much difference and I went back for Deadline as soon as I got a chance.  I recommend them in order just so you won’t know the answer to the mystery of the book before.
Deadline by Alcorn, RandyDeadline first released in 1994, and is still a strong seller here in the store.   It is a good murder mystery, with a twist.  I don’t really want to tell you what that twist is, but if you have ever read his book In Light of Heaven you will know what it is.  (Small hint, In Light… came into being because so many people were asking Randy about his view of Heaven found in Deadline and Dominion)
Jake is an award-winning journalist.  When two of his closest friends are killed in a car accident, which he survived, Jake knows he has to find their killer.  He doesn’t know that he was the intended target and the killer is still on his trail. 
I enjoyed the mystery of this book, but I also loved the characters that Randy created.  Randy has a gift for making the characters in the book someone you want to hang out with or help.  His bad guys are usually not someone you personally want to have to deal with and that is what makes his book so fun to read.
Happy Reading

No comments: