Friday, September 17, 2010

Bethany Pierce

Dear Readers,
I have found a new favorite author in Bethany Pierce. Her books are not a light read, but they sure are interesting. Her first one, Felling for Bones, is about a 16 year old's struggle with anorexia. Like I said not an easy read.
Amy Inspired is about Amy Gallagher, I know shocking, who has one constant in her life, she makes lists. Whether is is about what to get at the grocery store or what to do in downtown when she makes a trip there to all the rejection slips she receives, she makes lists. She is a writer by title, but she is an adjunct professor by paycheck. She has never had anything published and is looking to change that. She never had being a professor on her dream jobs list. The saying is those who can't, teach. Well Amy is proof of that.
I really liked this book. The characters are fun and interesting. I liked Amy just because of all of her flaws. She isn't perfect and even is sometimes a bit self-centered. Zoe, Amy's housemate is the product of two hippies falling in love and marrying. She is a free spirit who likes to question why you do things. She even is willing to ask the questions about why things are done. But when her mother's breast cancer comes back, her world begins to fall apart.
Amy is one of those characters I would love to sit down with and get to know better. We have very little in common. She's 30ish, single and a writer. I am not 30ish and read, not write. She has just been dumped unceremoniously by her boyfriend, I married my high school sweetheart. She teaches at the local college, I never went to college. So you can see how little we really do have in common. Yet I feel like we could be friends.
Now I do want to mention that when this book was presented to us, the publisher said that at the publishing house not everyone liked this book. It was broken down to very clear lines of readers. It wasn't men and women either, but I don't want to say what they were as it may make you not want to read it. So just remember that and then read it anyways and enjoy it thoroughly.
Happy Reading

No comments: