Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sharon Carter Rogers

Dear Readers,
Someday I would like to meet the real Sharon Carter Rogers. The rumors about her on the internet are many (and we all know we can believe everything on the internet). Whether she is actually a CIA spy or Dean Koontz in hiding, it doesn't really matter to me as I would like to meet the person whose brain thinks the way she does in her novels. Drift, Sharon's newest novel, does not disappoint. It is a bit off center and completely interesting.
In Drift we meet Baby Doll and Boy (I know not very original, but they will make sense when you read the book). Each is forgotten by God. Baby Doll figures God has forgotten about her because He never seems to answer her prayers. Besides, how could God love someone like her. Boy is a Drift. He, by his own words, is neither angel, demon or ghost. He is just a created being that has been forgotten by God after he was created.
This odd couple meet at the cemetery when Baby Doll glances up and sees, really sees, Boy. The connection is then started and Boy and Baby Doll begin their journey together.
This is a fast paced story that takes you around the dark underside of the city. There isn't any pleasant place that the book takes you to. The crime syndicate has a strong hold on the city and nothing is safe from them. Even the police station is corrupt.

In the Reader's Guide in the back of the book one of the questions is "If a friend asked you what was Drift about - not what happens - what would you say?" Now that is an interesting question. I am not sure i can answer that question, but I think for me, part of the answer lies in my identity with Christ. Each of the main characters felt lost and without a real name. They didn't have a past or a future because of it. To me, my identity is in Him not in my name or at least in one I have created for myself. Now whether that is what Sharon planned or really wrote about, I have no idea, but that would be my answer.
I am also going to say, I am in the book. For those of you who look, see if you can find me. Let me know what you find. :-)
Happy Reading

No comments: