Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Colleen Coble

Dear Readers,


Colleen Coble is one of my favorite authors. I always enjoy taking the time to disappear into one of her books. This past Saturday, January 23rd, I had a chance to read for almost 4 hours straight. Which gave me enough time to read most of The Lightkeeper's Daughter.

This book is a bit different for Colleen as it is a historical romance. She does include a little note that she really enjoyed writing in this genre. She blends her mystery writing with a historical setting very well.

Addie Sulivan has only known life on a little island off the coast of California, where her parents work as the light-keepers. She has led a very sheltered life, but until her father died she enjoyed it. Her mother doesn't seem to love her and she can't figure out why, no matter what she does, she can't please her mother. Until one day a man ends up on their stairs and after he recovers enough to talk to them, he announces that he is Addie's long lost Uncle and she really is a daughter of a very wealthy man. Addie isn't sure she believes him, but she has always dreamed of a large family.

John is trying to get his son back from a controlling father in law. Even though his wife passed away a year ago, John has been at sea and his in laws were taking care of the child for him. When he hires Addie as Edward's governess, she sees it as a chance to get to know her new family before they find out who she really is.

I really liked this book. It reminded me of books that I read years ago about a young woman who had a claim to a house or heritage and the family didn't want her around. It felt and read a lot like that, but it was a good story. I found myself caught up in it right away. My husband who was reading over my shoulder even asked me "who-done-it" so to speak. I can safely say that this is not his type of book and yet he was enjoying it.

Happy Reading

2 comments:

Colleen Coble said...

Hey, Chris! I'm so glad you liked the new book! A bit of a different direction for me, eh? :-) I'm going to have to come see you again one of these days!

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

Come visit anytime and we can go have bang bang Shrimp again. :-) I only meant that it was historical instead of contemporary. :-) Can't wait to see who and what you write on next.