Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cheryl McKay and Rene Gutteridge


Dear Readers,

This is one of those books I never saw coming. In fact I had been giving it half-warm reviews thinking it was more of a typical chick lit book. I was wrong. Not that it isn't light, but it is certainly not fluff.

Never the Bride by Cheryl McKay and Rene Gutteridge is not what I expected. It reminded me of the TV show, Joan of Arcadia. I don't know if you remember the show, but Joan would see God at different points of the day and in her life. He never showed up at a convenient time and of course no one else would see him so Joan was always talking to herself.

Jessie Stone has only wanted ever to be a bride. She has planned her wedding out since she was a little girl. It is all she thinks of, and everything she does has to do with that day (It just struck me she never plans for the marriage that comes after, just that one day). She has a journal that she keeps track of her ideas and a purple pen that she writes with. She wouldn't give them up for anything.

So what do you do when God shows up one day and asks for them. Jessie is not very willing to give them up. She thinks she knows better than God what He has planned for her. She is sure that He doesn't know what He is doing and is very ready to prove that to Him. She keeps second guessing Him and running ahead of Him when He makes suggestions. (Wait, does that sound like anyone you know? :-)

As you can tell this is not just for those single girls that need to hear that God does want to write their love story, but it is for us all who think we know His plans better than He does. There were a couple different times when Jessie was arguing with God and His plans and she would say something that I have used myself when things are not going my way. :-) Rats...

I love recommending this book to the teens in youth group, but also to the older lady who is wondering if God really does care that she is at loose ends right now. Marriage is the focus of this book, but it is not the main message. So take the time to relax and just enjoy this story.

Happy Reading
Chris

No comments: