Thursday, February 4, 2016

Celeste Fletcher McHale

Dear Readers,

I was really interested in getting started on The Secret toHummingbird Cake by Celeste Fletcher McHale.  I had heard a couple different quick reviews of it with mixed comments.  One person loved it and one was surprised by it (not in a good way).  So I really wanted to find out what they had. 

What I found was a book that I can't wait to share with you.  One that seems to be the type of book I have been looking for in the Christian market.  One that seems to start out as a cute little book about friendship and ends up being one that makes you wonder how, at the end of a book, you can be so emotionally attached to the characters. 

Carrington, Laine and Ella Rae have been friends since 1st grade.  It all started when Laine came to their school and was getting bullied.  Ella Rae took it upon herself to defend her, and the rest is history as they say. 

SecretToHummingbirdCake_CoverImageThe trio has been through many ups and downs together. They have always been there for each other, whether they agreed with what the other one was doing or not.  Their personalities are all very different and yet they are closer than sisters.  You do not see one without the other two close behind, even into adulthood.  Husbands know that if you marry one, you have to include the others in many of your get-togethers.  They are family.

Know that when I started to read this book, I thought it was going to be a fun read about the adventures of 3 women and their very special friendship.  I think most women long for a friendship like that, which is why we read about them so much. J  But what I got once I started was so much more than that.  

Now the back cover does not go into details of the storyline I am speaking of so I am also going to respect that and let you find out for yourself what I am talking about.  Just know I spent many moments laughing out loud at the fun times these women had together, but I also spent some of my time hiding behind the book because I knew nobody else sitting around the pool would understand why I was suddenly crying. 

It is a book about women and the friendships we all crave.  It is a book that will make you want to go out and hug all your friends and it is a book that will stick with you long after you are finished. 


Happy Reading,

No comments: