Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bonnie S. Calhoun


Dear Readers,

Thunder by Bonnie S. Calhoun is one of the newest book in the dystopian genre and I believe it may be Revell Publishing’s first of this genre.  (If I am wrong about that sorry.)  I have read a couple of Bonnie’s books before and have enjoyed her writing style so I was looking forward to reading this book.   The fast pace and interesting characters made it a very enjoyable read.

Selah is trying to prove to her father that she can join the family business of hunting Landers, the people that land on their shores with a certain mark.  The Company is willing to pay top dollar for every one that is caught and keeps their mark.  Selah’s father has made it perfectly clear that she is not welcome in the business, but Selah knows she would be an asset to her family if only given a chance. 

When she does catch a Lander, she is sure it will be praise and welcome from her father, that is until her older brothers steal him away and leave Selah with nothing to prove her catch.  That is until the next morning when she awakens to find herself marked the same as the Landers, now she is the hunted. 

We have this book in our adult fiction department, but could easily put it in our teen section.  It is a good read for either age.  I have to admit that though dystopian novels are not my favorite, I did find myself cheering Selah on as she tried to learn her new reality.  Being forced out of your home with no warning and very little training would prove to be almost overwhelming to me and then throw in that your father and brothers are the ones hunting you, it might just be too much. 

I will be interested in checking out the next book in the series, Lightning, due out in the fall of 2015.

Happy Reading,

 

No comments: