Saturday, October 1, 2011

Matt Mikalatos

Dear Readers,
Sometimes reviews write themselves.  Sometimes there are books the just beg to have a review written for them.  Those are the best, but then there are others books that are more difficult to write. Night of the Living Dead Christians by Matt Mikalatos is on the harder side.  It is a fun little read and I encourage you to read it, but it does not lend itself to an easy review. 
I am not sure how to discribe this book other than a cross between Monty Python, the Munsters and any 'B" horror movie.  It is funny, thought-provoking and snarky all at the same time.  It is just not your typical fiction
novel. 
Now if you have read Matt's first book, Imaginary Jesus, you kind of know what to expect.  If you haven't read that one either, you are in for a nice surprise.  One of the complaints that I hear all the time is that Christian fiction is only either historical romance or Amish, well this book is definitely neither of those.  It is a horror story without ever being scary. 
Matt places himself as his own main character again.  I personally feel it is because he doesn't want to insult, um... err... I mean... point fingers at anyone in particular.   I have never meet Matt, but if he is anything like the guy he writes in his books... well I find myself praying for his long suffereing wife. :-)  He sounds like a wonderful, fun loving, but confused guy.  His character Matt is someone who seems to think he knows what is best, but is willing to learn from what is pointed out as his mistakes. 
Matt, the character, meets up with a Mad Scientist one night while on neighborhood watch and that leads quickly to his encounter with Zombies, a Werewolf and a Vampire.  All of which reside right in his own neighborhood.  Matt quickly tries to help his fellow neighbors in need, but how do you cure a monster of being a monster?
Like I said this book is not your average Christian novel, but it sure was loads of fun to read.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Matt Mikalatos said...

Hi Chris!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for NLDC. I agree that it can be a little hard to describe, but I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it. And I'm certain my wife will be glad to know that you are praying for her. :)
Thanks again.

Matt

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

Hi Matt,

You are very welcome. I am looking forward to your next book.


Chris